Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New twist on old favorite: Sour Cream Coffeecake

I have been making a version of this coffeecake for years... My earliest recollection of making it was when I was about 10 or 11, and my aunt and uncle were coming to visit. Mom had asked me to make coffeecake, and left the recipe out on the counter. I was very excited to be able to showcase my baking abilities, and eagerly proceeded to follow the directions exactly... except for mistakenly putting in "cream cheese" instead of "sour cream." Though it tasted fine, the cake was more dense, and not quite right. Disappointed, I did learn a valuable lesson regarding making a recipe your own... or was it to read the directions more carefully?!
Originally this came to me as Pecan Sour Cream Coffeecake, but my kiddos don't go for the pecans, so I have made some adjustments. Today's version includes blueberries and a little kick of ginger for fun. Enjoy!






Blueberry-Sour Cream Coffeecake

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large mixing bowl, cream together:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Also measure out:
1 cup sour cream

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, making about 3 equal additions of each and blending well after each addition.

Fold in:
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Spread into lightly greased 13x9 in pan. Sprinkle evenly with topping (see below).

Mix together in a small bowl:
Topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. I have this almost-identical recipe! I received it from a friend - it was supposedly a recipe The White Gull Inn used in Door County. Delicioso! I have made it with apples, too; very yummy with that cinammon :) I am really enjoying your blog, Pam! I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam. I think the kiddos and I will try this one! Give a hug to that Joel for me. :)

    ReplyDelete